Thursday, October 24, 2013

One Room Challenge Week 4

Week 4! See week one, two, and three. And of course all the other One Room Challenge participants here.

So when we bought this house, we knew that we would have to update almost everything - Installing central air and heating, wiring, gut the kitchen and baths (and we've already completed one of those here), among many many other things. Can't beat a good location right? Luckily, our house is structurally sound. So while we were busy with the wainscoting this past week, my hubby had another job on his hands. This weekend he re-wired the dining room. New electrical going to the chandelier (which is not up yet) and three new outlets for all my lamping needs! He's kind of a pro at the wiring thing by now - he's done our hallway, all three bedrooms downstairs, both of our bathrooms downstairs, and outdoor lights - and he loves.every.single.minute. of electrical work.

And I took this picture of him - doesn't he look like the wicked witch of the west from Wizard of Oz?! Hehe :)


And because I'm holding out on you, here's our new electrical fun!



Ok funny stuff over. Let's all take a moment to enjoy this wainscoting. 


Let's look more up close at a few different walls.



See the rotted windowsill? Ga-ross.


Naturally I wanted to rip up all that floor covering so I could get a really good view, but I snapped back to reality. I used Benjamin Moore paint in White Dove. After I did 2 pretty thick coats of primer. So wainscoting is pretty much complete. There's still a piece to install over the top, but we're waiting to do that until the wallpaper is installed. Wallpaper where are you?! Seriously UPS man, bring it to me now! 

My other update for this week is that I have the fabric for my roman shades purchased! I'm holding off on making them until my grass cloth wallpaper comes in so I can make sure it's all matching and on the right track. Do you love it as much as me?!


Oh, and I almost forgot. I painted the crown molding! AND I made art work. Wow. It went a little like this. More on that later :) Think gold!



So, what's on our agenda if we don't get the wallpaper in before the weekend? Here's a little glimpse of what I have up my sleeve:

  • Patching the horrific job that was done on the ceiling 
  • Painting the ceiling 
  • Installing the chandelier 
  • Hopefully replacing the windowsill (remember it's rotted out from having that AC unit?)
  • Finding some fun pillows for a bench that is going in the space

Luckily I already have all the furniture and rug. I could always use more accessories though :)

What a fun, productive week we've had. Hope everyone is having an awesome day! 





18 comments:

  1. While I love all of the ORC challengers, yours is one of my faves! Love where you are going with it and am so excited to see the finale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much! Such kind words :) I'm hoping we get that grasscloth in for the big finale! Thanks for following along!

      Delete
  2. Good Gosh, you guys rocked this big time!! I am dying over that wainscoting. I hope everything arrives for you, this is seriously a transformation. Snaps to the hubs for being able to do electrical work....be careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad someone else is dying over it too! It makes me do the happy dance every time I walk through :) The hubs is definitely deserves the credit here!

      Delete
  3. That wainscoting came out amazing!! Really is just gorgeous and totally transforms the room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness - that wainscoting looks FABULOUS! Kudos to your hubs doing all that electrical work, and I love those fabrics. Can't wait to see how it comes together (sure hope your grasscloth comes in).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your wainscoting rocks - can you guys come to my house? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband would do this again in a heartbeat! I have a feeling you don't live in my neighborhood though :)

      Delete
  6. It's looking great! Can't wait to see the wallpaper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the wainscoting.....and it took me a while to see your husbands feet under the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha I'm probably the only person who enjoys those silly pictures :)

      Delete
  8. The paneling looks amazing!! And I totally got a laugh out of your wicked witch pic, you couldn't pay me to crawl under there! Can't wait for the paper to go up ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is he goes under there with this big spatula to kill spiders and bug spray. No thank you! Haha!

      Delete
  9. The first picture is a cute one, I would keep and frame it, just as a reminder of the work you guys have done for this space! You must be so pleased since the paneling looks totally professionally done! Loving the fabric choices too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the medallion on your ceiling. And the walls are looking great!!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS