Sunday, June 9, 2013

Painted furniture, Staircase Update, and more Electrical

I'm exhausted. We're exhausted. As we speak, Josh is on a race against the clock to get outlets to go from this... (makes you envious that you aren't here to live in this mess, right? :))
To this
Why the race against the clock? Because I have 4 shows set to record on my DVR. Duh. 

Anyway, back to our weekend events. So, the weekend plan was to get the lighting done in the 3 bedrooms. Lets just say, here we are Sunday evening and they're still in their boxes. But that's okay. I'm focusing on the positive. Here's what I did. 

My mom gave me this piece of furniture when we moved into our first house. It was in her house before that. I love hand-me-down furniture. In this house, it was too dark. Put a big tv on top of it, and it's even darker. So I bought some Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. Have you ever used it? The color I chose was "Paris Grey". It's a great paint for sticking to furniture or anything really. Best part... No sanding necessary! Hallelujah. It's the type of paint that leaves that antique/vintage feel. 
Here I am painting...
And here is the after...
I ended up changing out the hardware as well. Kinda reminds me of a granite eyeball. Originally, I wanted glass hardware. But, I have glass knobs in every room and in the bathroom. Overkill. Like these pink walls. 
My other project for the weekend was to FINISH sanding the staircase. I did it!!!! Took me about 5 more hours this weekend. Here's the pre-sanding shot (after we removed the carpet). Side note: the bannister never matched the stain of the floors... But it does match what we chose. Bonus! Because I did NOT want to have to sand that bannister. 
As you can see, this project has been in the works for quite some time. Two months to be exact. 
I only sanded the treads because that's the only place getting stained. The risers will be painted white. As for my technique, I sanded them initially with 40 grit sandpaper, then 80, then 220. Boy was I happy when I got to switch to 220. I used a belt sander and then switched to a detail sander. This was honestly one of the hardest jobs I've ever done! My plan for this week is to start the stain. Don't you love a staircase? Hopefully it's done soon so I can share!!! And enjoy. 

As for Josh, he was back at it with the electrical. Bye bye old pink outlets! Yep, even the outlets were pink :) 
Josh had to go back under the house a few times. I thought this was hysterical. He takes this spatula with him to squash the spiders :) 
As for all these wires that are hanging out of the wall, Josh would crawl in the attic and send them down through the wall. I had to stick my hand in the walls to catch them! I didn't have a spatula to squash anything either! We made a good team :) 
I think we had quite the productive weekend. One of my favorite things to do is to make old things look new or at the least, more like me. I've redone a few things that were original to this house. I think that makes things special. I love when things have a story or when they're sentimental :) you'll see them soon... I hope. And one of Josh's favorite things to do is the electrical work. He's so patient with it (and me) and he truly enjoys it. 

Oh and as for those fancy tools in the picture above, thank you Joe for letting Josh borrow them. He's obsessed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS