Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Small Bath DIY Artwork

In this little head of mine, I kept thinking about exactly what I wanted for the artwork of the bathroom and actually I kept finding it in real life. Except every time I found something I liked, it was $300+. That's great if you are into art or if that's what you like to spend your money on. I prefer clothes.

So, off to Hobby Lobby I went! Keeping in mind that I have an arched glass mirror like this, I didn't want to do a huge canvas - so I got two smaller ones. Then, bought a variety pack of paintbrushes for $5 - maybe I'll upgrade if I like this painting thing. Update: the $5 paintbrushes worked just fine for this first-timer! Combine all that with some acrylic paint and I was set. Grand total for all my stuff: $20 and my mom had a store-credit (thanks MOM!!) so it was free. But if it weren't free, that's pretty dang cheap!

Then I was off to my studio house. And honestly, everything sat on my kitchen table for about two weeks. You know how you have to be in the right frame of mind to do something? Especially something creative. Every time I would think about setting the stuff up, something would come up or distract me or I would be in a bad mood. Sigh.

To give you a visual - I was going for something like this or this. Very abstract - very possible to DIY.  Time to begin!


Bet you didn't even notice the paint colors :) If you looked at the inspiration pins, you would know that I was headed towards the blue family without being overly dramatic. Although, once I got painting, I had no control over what was happening. It was a whatever happens happens process. 


So I wish I could walk you through step by step to tell you what I did. I can't. I really just did what I thought looked good - messed up - and then kept painting. It may look like you just simply brush colors on top of one another - and basically that is what you do - but it really did take a lot of time and patience. Here's a little evolution sketch for you...


And the final product... (Charley wanted so desperately to be in the picture)


So my thoughts on where these little gems are going to go are as follows... Either here... Which is right next to the mirror/above the toilet... 


Or, on the wall to the left when you walk in... 



Any preferences?? They look tiny with absolutely nothing in the space, but the canvases are actually a good size. I think they turned out as I expected them too - which is a good thing I guess! I wanted them to look bathroom-ish and I think I achieved that. Check another item off the bathroom list! 

1 comment:

  1. Very nice. I have a box of painting supplies that I haven't used since moving here (when we lived in the apartment -- I was bored)… and you're right, you have to be in the right frame of mind, for sure.

    Oh, and by the way, the links for your inspiration above didn't take me anywhere?

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS